Sunday, December 9, 2012

7 Questions Christian Parents Should ask Before Putting an Elf on the Shelf:

 
 
1. Do I want my children to believe truth, know the importance of honesty, and have the blessed assurance of salvation someday?
2. Am I prepared to compromise that possibility with a lie about Jolly ole St. Nick and the promise of temporal joy for every girl and boy?
3. Am I prepared to cement that lie as I add a secondary falsehood (with a little felt hat) on my mantel piece?
4. Can I commit to perpetuating these lies daily by moving the doll around the house and encouraging the children to share their dreams and wishes with the enchanted tattle-tale?
5. How do I feel about teaching my children to conjure up magic through their own authority and action (naming the elf or touching the elf)?
6. Am I okay with persuading my children to “behave” through means of dishonesty and controlled paranoia rather than training them up in the way they should go?
7. What will happen to my children’s hearts (and all the the truths I shared about Christ) when they find out it was all a lie?
 
 
"The just man walketh in his integrity: his children are blessed after him.” – Proverbs 20:7

 

 

1 comment:

  1. Great post. I can't understand why Christians continue to lie about Santa and the elf, for the children only to realize later that it was all a hoax. They will wonder and become skeptical about Jesus being a myth and that is something I never want.

    ReplyDelete